This Sunday, November 27th, 2016, Pastor Duane White continued our REthink series here at The Bridge Church in Denton, Texas.
“And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”(Romans 12:2, NKJV)
Let’s begin with a few money misconceptions, and combat them with the truth about money in that area:
- Jesus was poor.
- Money is evil.
- There’s “sacred money” and “secular money.”
- Money changes you.
- Jesus was not poor. He just wasn’t worried about money. To Jesus, money was a tool, not a master. 1 Timothy 6:10 says, “The love of money is the root of all evil.” Notice it says “the love of money,” not money itself.
- Money is “amoral.” You can love money and have money, or you can love money and be dirt poor. Money takes on the morality of the owner. It’s not evil; it’s amoral.
- Money is not spiritual. People are spiritual. Money is merely a barometer of your spiritual atmosphere – it takes measurements of how spiritual we are. There is no secular money or sacred money. There is just money, and people use the money to do good or evil. It’s not the money, it’s how you get the money and what you do with it that matters.
- Money doesn’t change us; it merely makes us more of who we already are. Having more money doesn’t make you a bad person. Being a bad person makes you a bad person. Money just puts a spotlight or magnifying glass on your character. If you are like your Heavenly Father, then money just makes that more evident. Money is a magnifier.
It is impossible to talk about money or finance from a Kingdom Perspective without talking about generosity.
Here are three keys to REthinking generosity from a Kingdom perspectives:
- Generosity is the character and nature of God.
- Generosity takes our eyes and trust off the REsource and on to the source.
- Generosity is love in action.
Money is merely a tool to display the character and nature of God by being generous like God. God is the source of all good things. Everything else good in life is a REsource. Generosity is a declaration that it is all God’s, and I am just being allowed to steward a little bit of it.
Generosity breaks the scarcity mentality and propels us into an abundance mentality. Generosity is betting your life on the goodness of God.
You can give without loving, but you can not love without giving. We are never more like God than when we give generously.
Here are two guiding principles that will help you:
- Don’t give merely to need; give to vision and purpose. That will meet needs.
- Be led by the Spirit, not by emotion or guilt. That’s manipulation. Even if the person isn’t trying to manipulate you, the devil is.
“The generous will prosper; those who REfresh others will themselves be REfreshed,” (Proverbs 11:25, NLT).
Let’s REthink generosity from Heaven’s vantage point.
To hear more on generosity, watch the full message here: