This Sunday, December 11th, 2016, Pastor Duane White unpacked an amazing message on how to REfuse the Scrooge, and REceive the Season here at The Bridge Church in Denton, Texas.
REfuse the Scrooge, REceive the Season:
Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, saying, ‘Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.’ When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. So they said to him, ‘In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written by the prophet: ‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, Are not the least among the rulers of Judah; For out of you shall come a Ruler Who will shepherd My people Israel.’ Then Herod, when he had secretly called the wise men, determined from them what time the star appeared. And he sent them to Bethlehem and said, ‘Go and search carefully for the young Child, and when you have found Him, bring back word to me, that I may come and worship Him also.’ When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy. And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed for their own country another way.” (Matthew 2:1-12, NKJV)
Never has there been a time in our nation where society has tried so hard to reject Christmas or kill the real meaning of it, as is the case right now. Even Christians are taught, either subtly or openly, to reject Christmas for many reasons.
Her are some reasons we reject the season:
- The ghosts of Christmas past – past hurts and loss
- The ghosts of Christmas present – present challenges, financial pressures, loneliness, etc.
All of these can add up to a mental stance that, even if you don’t want to reject Christmas altogether, you at least dread its activities… Bah Humbug! This what you call the Scrooge Spirit.
A Scrooge Spirit is any stance toward receiving Christmas that chooses to dread its reality, reject its presence, or attempts to kill it. In reality the Scrooge Spirit could also be the King Herod Spirit. Herod was the original Scrooge.
Here are some ways to identify the Scrooge spirit, as found in King Herod:
- He wanted to kill the Christ child.
- He murdered his own wives. Including the one he loved the most that he strangled to death.
- He lies saying that he wants to worship the child, but in fact he wanted to kill him.
- He was a model of duplicity and self-centeredness, which ultimately led to hatred.
- He was well schooled in Judaism.
- He was actually not Roman, but part Jewish.
- He knew the scriptures, he knew the culture, and he knew what the coming of the Messiah would do to threaten his position.
The Scrooge Spirit is self-centered, self-seeking, double-minded, and, no matter what it professes, it wants to kill the Christ in the Season.
We need to enter into the season in the opposite spirit, in a way that mentally, emotionally, and spiritually connects to it. We need to make the connection with the Christ of Christmas.
A lot of people “flip the switch” of this season, but their connection is corroded. The great thing is you can remove it by the grace of God and a conscience choice to REfuse the Scrooge and REceive the season.
By looking at scripture, here are some keys to doing just that:
- REfuse to let the times depress you.
- REfuse to let puzzling surprises or confusing circumstances stop you from worshipping Him.
- REfuse to simply know “where to find the King,” but “go there.”
- REfuse to doubt that God will manifest Himself in unlikely places.
- REfuse to disallow joy to come over you.
- REfuse to give anything less than your best.
- Refuse to leave the season the same way you came into it.
The reality is that these principles are true of every season that we find ourselves in. In each season of life – whether natural, emotional, or spiritual – we must engage and activate the Christ in the season. Engage with the God who ordained the purpose in that season. You can’t allow yourself to dread, reject, or attempt to kill the seasons of your life, or any season of your life. You must find Christ in them.
Just because of past hurts, present stress, or future dilemmas, you mustn’t be sucked into the “Bah Humbugs!” You must REfuse the Scrooge and REceive the Season!
You can pray, “Lord don’t let me leave this season the same way I came into it, but let me be changed as I leave it.”
To watch more on REfusing the Scrooge and REceiving the Season, watch the full message here:
Latest posts by Alex Heineman (see all)
- 07.30.2017 – Ps. Duane White – Timeless Ten Pt. 10 - July 30, 2017
- 07.23.2017 – Ps. Duane White – Timeless Ten Pt. 9 - July 23, 2017
- 07.16.2017 – Ps. Kris White – Timeless Ten Pt. 8 - July 20, 2017