This Sunday, November 6, 2016, Pastor Duane White continued our series, REthink, by discussing misconceptions of evangelism at The Bridge Church in Denton, Texas.
REthink: REthinking Evangelism
Life and circumstances can often cause you to REthink your position or belief on something, which can be good, but if you have no standard – no measuring stick to measure your thoughts by – then you can REthink things and come to the wrong conclusions.
“And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:2, NKJV)
Evangelism is defined as “the spreading of the Christian gospel by public preaching or personal witness, or the zealous advocacy of a cause.”
There are a lot of misconceptions about evangelism, so here are a few of them:
- Evangelism is for those weird religious types.
- Evangelism is the church’s job.
- Evangelists are traveling preachers.
- Evangelism is for extroverts, or certain personality types.
- Nobody wants to listen to me.
There are so many more that could be listed, but you get the idea. Today let’s REthink some of our preconceived ideas.
- Be you, and be creative. There are lots of ways and mediums to share the good news. Find what works for you and do that.
- You can pray. You can pray for your neighbors, for your family who don’t know Jesus, for your city, state and nation.
- You can go. Go somewhere, somehow, to someone. Overcome the excuses and just do something.
- You can tell your story. Here is where the excuses come back in our heads. Things like, “I am too messed up to share Jesus with anybody else.” But the good news is that Jesus only uses messed up people because thats all He’s got to work with.
Most people don’t recognize what God is doing until He is finished doing it.
“Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it,” (Luke 19:41, NKJV).
Only one of two times in the Bible it says Jesus wept. Why did He weep?
“…because you did not know the time of your visitation,”(Luke 19:44b, NKJV).
Could it be that in the midst of all the chaos of our election that this is our finest hour?
Could it be that in all the craziness and mess our nation is in, God wants to visit us?
Could it be that God has been positioning us, and people like us, to see the greatest move of God Denton has ever known?
If you believe that the answer to any of those is yes, then once we recognize it, let’s REthink our part in it.
You see, there is an awakening, a recognizing of what day we are in, and a REthinking of how we can reach our city, our county, our nation, and the nations of the world.
You can watch the full message below:
Latest posts by Alex Heineman (see all)
- 07.30.2017 – Ps. Duane White – Timeless Ten Pt. 10 - July 30, 2017
- 07.23.2017 – Ps. Duane White – Timeless Ten Pt. 9 - July 23, 2017
- 07.16.2017 – Ps. Kris White – Timeless Ten Pt. 8 - July 20, 2017