This Sunday, August 21st, 2016 Pastor Duane White unpacked an amazing message in our new series For the Win at The Bridge Church in Denton, Texas.
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 9, NIV)
The Apostle Paul was a winner who he knew how to train to win. He gives us a few keys to running like a winner in Acts 20.
“And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.”(Acts 20:22–24, NKJV)
Here are the five key characteristics of someone who trains to win:
- Desire. You are never going to go for the win until you go! Desire is what gets you up in the morning. Nothing great happens in life without desire. What do you desire? God wants to give us good gifts that we desire, but He also knows what is best and wants to give us the right desires.
- Design. You must know today that we are all bound to something. God has a grand design for your life. He has a design, and a destiny. God designed it, but you must walk in it!
- Determination. You get to choose what moves you. Paul didn’t say that nothing moves him; he said “none of these things move me!” If you are determined to only be moved by God’s purposes over your life, you won’t be moved by anything else.
- Dedication. Dedication is an act or rite of dedicating to a divine being or to a sacred use; a devoting or setting aside for a particular purpose. Dedication comes when you have the heart of a finisher. Anybody can start, but God is looking for finishers.
- Delight. When you finish well, you finish with joy! God wants us to enjoy this journey.
We have a race to run, so let’s run that race #forthewin!
There is no greater joy than running your race alongside others who are running their race. In this race our prize is linked with everyone else’s. Not only those running now, but all those who’ve run before us.
Life is not a sprint, but it’s not a marathon either; it’s a relay! Great men and women have gone before us, and they are waiting on us to run #forthewin.
“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:1-2, NKJV)
They have run their race. It’s our turn now. Let’s run #forthewin!
Watch the full message here:
Latest posts by Alex Heineman (see all)
- 07.30.2017 – Ps. Duane White – Timeless Ten Pt. 10 - July 30, 2017
- 07.23.2017 – Ps. Duane White – Timeless Ten Pt. 9 - July 23, 2017
- 07.16.2017 – Ps. Kris White – Timeless Ten Pt. 8 - July 20, 2017