This Sunday, May 29th, 2016, at The Bridge Church in Denton, Texas, our special guest Nate Blouse unpacked part two to our REmember: The Power of a Memory series.
REmember: The Power of a Memory
What is a memory? A memory is the ability of the mind to store and remember information. If you REmember your past, it is your past perception of reality to your present reality hindering and redefining what your future destiny will look like.
Until around the age of 12, your brain is in a mode called alpha mode, or receiving mode, where it is creating a foundation of information through experience that shapes your worldview of how you live life and relate to God.
These foundational experiences are stored as memory files (imaginations) and have three components:
- My perceptions of the facts of an experience.
- My beliefs about myself and my world based on my perceptions.
- The feelings that I felt as I went through the experience.
“And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.” Genesis 6:5
An imagination is a series of statements linked together, statement by statement, to form an “intellectual framework” by which the image of the imagination is supported. This framework carries the weight of the image in our souls.
Your memory has three components:
- The image that my mind recorded.
- The belief statements.
- The emotions that I felt.
As an adult, your mind uses those memories, or imaginations, as a foundation to make decisions and interpret life as it comes to you. If the memory your mind brings to your present situation is positive and truth based, you will make wise choices and interact in a mature way with those around you. If the memory your mind brings to your present situation is negative, and the statements in it are lie based, then you will make wrong choices and interact in an immature way with those around you.
It is these negative foundational memories that we want to focus on. From the beginning God gave us the blue print for mind renewal.
Principles for emotional health:
- God is the Creator.
- We have a creator who created us in His Image and likeness.
- He created us with emotions.
- I am allowed to have and feel every emotion that I experience.
- My emotions are a state of being.
- None of my emotions are right, and none of my emotions are wrong. They just are.
- My emotions are not the problem.
- My emotions are the indicator and messenger of a problem.
- Once I resolve the problem that my negative emotions are attached to, other negative emotions go away.
God created you to feel. And He created us to be like HIM. God changes the look and the feeling of those memories inside. What we do is self-maintenance, and what God does is God-maintenance, and at the end, there is no more maintenance.
The Old Man (Adam) is dead, but the the image remains.
“And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.” 1 Corinthians 15:49
What memory does God want to bring up to you? What memory do you need healing?
Watch the full message here:
Latest posts by Alex Heineman (see all)
- 07.30.2017 – Ps. Duane White – Timeless Ten Pt. 10 - July 30, 2017
- 07.23.2017 – Ps. Duane White – Timeless Ten Pt. 9 - July 23, 2017
- 07.16.2017 – Ps. Kris White – Timeless Ten Pt. 8 - July 20, 2017