This Sunday, October 12 2014 at The Bridge Church in Denton, TX, Pastor Duane continued with our fall series, “I’m Over It”.
So far, we’ve learned how to be OVER being overlooked, be OVER being a victim, and be OVER relational disappointment. This week, we are learning how to be OVER our mess.
I’m over my mess!
In 1 Samuel 22, we see David cry out to God for help. God hears his cry and sends help, but it’s not who David was hoping for. God sends the misfits!
“And everyone who was in distress, everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was discontented gathered to him. So he became captain over them. And there were about four hundred men with him.” – 1 Samuel 22:2
It seems strange that God sent people who were in distress and had messy lives, but we can learn 5 important things from the help that God sends to David:
1. They came as “misfits in a mess”
2. It didn’t take “many” of them to become “mighty”
3. They sought out David
4. They came in one way, and left another
5. Their transformation was linked to their submission to their king.
This story of the misfit and messy people seeking out David is symbolic of our relationship with Christ. We come to Christ as “misfits in a mess” but through His love, we are transformed!
God is in the business of qualifying the collected, not collecting the qualified!
Check out this week’s fantastic message below!
Latest posts by Sierra Leeper (see all)
- 6.14.15 – Living in Tomorrowland – Ps. Duane White - June 16, 2015
- 6.7.15 – The Power of Small – Guest Speaker Leck Heflin - June 10, 2015
- 5.31.15 – Back to the Basics – Ps. Jamie Stephenson - June 1, 2015