MONEY! Yes, experts say money arguments are a leading cause of divorce in our nation. The economy and America’s financial well-being is a determining factor for many in choosing who will lead our nation. As they say, “Money makes the world go round,” but does it make it go in the right direction?
|Do we worship money by giving
it power only God should have
in our lives?
This Sunday Pastor Duane preached about wisdom from Proverbs concerning money. I (Kris) have to admit money issues have been a source of many disagreements in our marriage. (I’m sure you are so surprised right now!) It seems in most partnerships there is the SAVER and the SPENDER. (Are you guessing who is which one?) I do consider myself to have a shopping gift that is not always understood and appreciated by my husband. (Smiling) Duane mentioned how we have a “Spending Plan” instead of a “Budget” because the later word makes me break out in hives! But, yes I have come around to see the wisdom of staying in agreement and unity in our spending, giving and saving, because God commands a blessing on UNITY.
When you have a SPENDER mentality (or consumer mentality) the thought is–it’s in my hand–let’s have a party! Carpe diem–let’s have a feast and some fun! Then the next morning you awaken to overdue bills and famine spreads across your bank account! But, of course the SAVER can be out of balance too–hoarding out of fear for the future instead of sowing. Early in our marriage, we began living on the “envelope system” where we put cash in envelopes for upcoming bills and for fun stuff (that was my favorite one–although, I do like having electricity too). There is a wonderful online program, called MVELOPES, that makes the envelope system relevant for our technology age. We use it for our “spending plan” and highly recommend it!
God has WISDOM to keep us in balance and help us properly steward what He’s given us.
Proverbs 3: 9 Honor God with everything you own; give him the first and the best. 10 Your barns will burst, your wine vats will brim over.
I believe as we seek God and honor His word–we will see those BARNS BURSTING to bless this city and the nations!
From Duane’s notes…
- As A Tool – to be used for God’s Kingdom purposes. It is not something to be grasped at or longed for, but simply received and used for good.That’s why He speaks about so much about GREED. (1:19, 28:25, 15:27, 23:6-8)
- Money is not evil – the love of money is evil. Money is an inanimate object, it takes on the character of the person using it. (1 Tim. 6:10)
- Money is one of the BIGGEST competitors for our hearts. (Matthew 6:24)
- Honestly not dishonestly. (21:6, 11:1)
- Faithfully not looking for a quick fix. (13:11, 28:20)
- Paying our bills (3:27, 3:28)
- Not wanting what we don’t have or can’t pay for. (27:20, 21:25-26, Ecc. 1:8)
- Not borrowing what we can’t pay back. (Proverbs 22:7, 37:21)
- Proverbs 6: 6-7
- General generosity (11:24-25)
- Poor (14:21b, 28:27, 22:9, 9:17)
- Tithing (3:9-10; Malachi 3:8-11)